Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bratislava, Slovakia: Part 2

My friend and colleague, as I keep writing in grant proposals, Barbara lives in Bratislava.  She is a photograph conservator, currently a professor at and recent graduate of the master's program in conservation at the Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava.  She has been to visit our lab in Delaware multiple times, and I hoped (and obviously succeeded) in paying a return visit to her in Bratislava!

Barbara met me at the bus station, and we headed into the old city center of Bratislava to drink chocolate and eat traditional Slovak food.




































The Slovak food I tried certainly did not look remotely appetizing, but was actually very good.  I'm sorry I don't have a photo of the dish, which was called something like bryndzove halusky.  I have, however, purloined somebody else's photo, so that you can have an image to enjoy.  It involves little dumplings, sheep cheese (a Slovak specialty), and bacon.














Barbara on the Slovak side of the Danube River.














The Danube.














There was a festival going on in one of the parks in Bratislava, with local bands playing and films done by the graduate students at the Academy of Fine Arts.  The bands were good.  I never thought I would hear that song, 'the rain down in Africa,' sung in English, with a Slovak accent, in Bratislava.

No comments: