Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sur la Route

The other day Hye-Sung asked me for a good English book recommendation.  My response, after much consideration, was Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris).  It would probably be a bit rough for her in parts, but she specifically requested something funny and I thought the foreigner-attempting-to-exist-in-Paris things would appeal to her.  

She also asked me for advice on audiobooks that would be good for her to simultaneously absorb via eyes and ears.  I told her I didn't know, as the only audiobooks I have are Harry Potter 1-7 and a smattering of Nathaniel Hawthorne, William Faulker, and Stephen Hawking. 

Then she informed me that she is currently reading a French translation of On the Street.  You know it?  By a famous American writer?

Turns out that both Hye-Sung and Marie are reading Jack Kerouac's On the Road, as it was recommended to them by Fabian.  Do the stylistic traits of Kerouac that make him Kerouac even translate into French?


















My response: wtf is up with you Francophones?

No comments: