Sunday, April 26, 2009

Second Year Flashback: Historic Processes Class

Cyanotype: WUDPAC 2009 Class Portrait

















One of the Winterthur photographers took our class portrait.  We then turned it into a digital negative and made cyanotypes with it.  This was an excellent gift for the head of our program, Debbie, as she loves photography, conservation, the program, and the color blue.  And, happily, there were enough proofs that each class member also received a print!

The following are from the elective course Lisa and I did on historic photographic processes: this is a good way to gain a greater understanding of the materials making up photographs.  The course involved mixing the chemicals and coating the papers, which is why there are brush marks and other wacky splotches.  There are several repeats of the same image in different processes - I'm sure I don't need to spell out how this is educational.  I've identified the process of each at the top, and if you have further questions, I guess let me know?  Either way, these suckers are why my lab coat looks like I wore it to a paintball match.

Salted paper print
















Cyanotype

















Platinum print
















Albumen print






















Platinum print














Cyanotype

















Platinum print

1 comment:

Mum said...

I enjoyed looking at all your great photos again. It's amazing how different they look when they are printed in different methods.