Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The U.S. Embassy

This place is barely two blocks from the National Gallery.  It is a little piece of America up here in Canadialand.  I think literally, actually.  Or maybe I made that up, as I so like to laugh at the conclusion of F. N.'s story of her college-age dad puking on the Embassy of Uruguay, in my mind, effectively vomiting on the entire nation.

In other words, it is the US Embassy.  I'll probably be here quite a bit.  I'm sure the Ambassador will invite me to all of the Fancy Dress Cocktail Parties they'll be hosting.  You know, for all the expat-Americans in Canada.














Sure, looks harmless enough.  But look closer: a huge metal fence (possibly electrified) and big concrete barriers (attempting to disguise themselves with pretty little trees and flowers).  Not very welcoming.

I was a little afraid to take the picture.  I'm also a little afraid to run across the intersection towards the building, like that they might shoot me, and I'd be lying (shot) on the sidewalk in front of the US Embassy pulling out my passport and yelling, "No!  I'm an American!"

Fun Canada Facts, Courtesy of the US Embassy Website:
1). Land-wise, Canada is the second largest country in the world.  (Russia is number one.)  
2). About 75% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border.
3). The population of Canada is around 32 million people.  (The combined population of the states of New York and Pennsylvania is also around 32 million.  Having driven massive quantities through both states, I can tell you that that comparison means that nobody lives in Canada.)  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the Canadian facts. They were fun!