Sunday, April 18, 2010

Philly Cherry Blossoms















The cherry blossoms were out of control last weekend, just in time for the annual Cherry Blossom Festival! There are commercial sponsors for the festival, but I think it's kind of tacky tp mention them. So I'm leaving them out.

In 1926, the Japanese government donated 1,600 flowering cherry trees to the city of Philadelphia, as a friendly gesture. And in 2007, the Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia finished planting another 1,000 cherry trees. They also care for the cherry trees in the public parks. So things have been pretty lovely around here.

I didn't go to the cherry blossom festival, but for the past few weeks I've enjoyed walking past a few really large and lovely trees on my morning commute.















3 comments:

Mum said...

Wow! They look unreal! Yesterday on the way to Erie we saw all sizes of beautiful pink trees and white flowering trees along with azalea bushes, purple ground flox, and tulips. It has been a beautiful Spring.

Mary Ann said...

They are just beautiful! Enjoy.

Ynn said...

These are beautiful, Jess. Sorry I haven't commented in a while-my computer is refusing to allow me to submit comments-so here I sit at school. I am still reading you, will just have to comment from school.